Sunday, March 15, 2009

Thanks Dan!!

On Saturday we hosted an afternoon youth seminar with about 40 youth, and an evening dinner party/seminar with 85-90 or so from our local homeschooling community. (Oh and we had a few non-homeschooling family and friends there too...WOO-HOO!) It was such a great day!! Even though it was exhausting and hosting something like this is totally out of my comfort zone it was great!

The evening started with a potluck style dinner, and I had a great time talking to old friends and meeting new ones! (Wouldn't it be awesome to start having events for our community once a quarter!!) I was able to connect and talk to others who are in the middle of homeschooling their kids like me, and it was a breath of fresh air!!

After dinner Scott introduced Dan who proceeded to give a great lecture all about the amazing and very enlightening book called the 4th Turning. I've read about half of it (and have to read the rest by Thursday for my 5P class). It was great to have him talk through the concepts presented in the book, and I felt like it helped me pull it all together. It was FANTASTIC!!

Look at all those people!! I know its hard to see, but there are a lot of people there!! I had 14 tables set up and we ran out of places to sit and ended up pulling the furniture by the fires over so everyone had a place to sit. It was fun to have it so full!!

After the lecture was over we lit two fires, moved the comfy furniture back to the fire area, and enjoyed chatting with other couples until after 10. There is power in building a community! What a great evening.

I'd like to thank everyone for coming and joining us for the night!! I'd especially like to thank my Mom, Dad, Scott, Alli, Dan, Stacy, Brittaney, and my kids for working so hard and going the extra mile to help me create (and clean up after) such a fantastic evening. I couldn't have done it without you!!

1 comment:

Mindful Mothering said...

It was a great evening... thanks again:-)