Saturday, March 13, 2010

Food = Life Skills


So last week I decided it was time to finally spring a little idea on my kids that I've been thinking about for a while. I noticed that we had a few 'issues' in our family...so here's what they were, what I did it, and why I'm LOVING it so far!!

Issues:
1. My life sometimes seems to be dominated by FOOD!! With six kids to feed, I'm often in the kitchen preparing, serving, or cleaning up a meal. I would love some help so I can focus on some other really important things...like playing with my kids, reading my weekly 'scholarly' assignments, doing my daily scripture study, and so on...
2. My kids don't have a lot of ways to make a little money so they can succeed, fail, and become competent at dealing with money. (I really would rather them blow $30 vs $3,000.)

Proposal:
So on Monday I told the kids about my issue, and acknowledged their issue (as mentioned above). I then explained my plan. I told them what I have budgeted for groceries each week. Then I told them if they were willing to plan the meals, prepare the shopping list, do the shopping (of course I'd drive them there and help push a cart), put the groceries away, and prepare, serve, and clean up all the meals they could keep the difference of what we spent and what I had budgeted. They were excited, and confident they could spend less than the budgeted amount of money on the week's groceries.

Bring it on:
And so it began... First, Jarom and I planned out the menus and created a shopping list. Then I took all 6 kids shopping with me (which I NEVER do), and Jarom and Megan owned the entire shopping experience. All I did was push the cart, and help them figure out where different items were in the store. My favorite part of the shopping trip was, seeing them tell their little siblings no on all the impulse purchases (like gum at the check out, and expensive boxes of cold cereal).

I was so impressed with them, and I have to admit it was one of the most enjoyable grocery shopping trips I've ever had! We were finished in record time, and best of all the kids came in $36 under the budget. They were thrilled.

The proof:
So how has it worked?! FANTASTIC!!! This week Jarom and Megan have been working their very hardest to do all the cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. The deal was that they would receive the $36 after they had prepared all the meals they had planned and shopped for. Then we would evaluate the experience, and see if we wanted to do it again.

So far, its been an AMAZING success, and I hope the kids keep up the good work!! The best part is it didn't cost me a dime, my kids are learning important life skills, it frees up some of my time, and its helped my kids serve and love each other more!!

WOO-HOO!!
This Friday I attended InfusionsCon. It was a conference focused on helping the users of Infusionsoft (the company my husband works at). It was so fun to hear all about these amazing business ideas and how much these wonderful people are doing for their business...BUT it got me thinking. I have a 'business' too!! I have my home, family, children, husband, church...I have MY LIFE which is my 'business.'

I've decided that from now on I'm not just a mom or wife or whatever...I'm an Entrepreneurial Women!! That's right I'm an Entrepreneurial Woman applying the same level of energy, creativity, passion, devotion to MY LIFE as these business people were applying to their ventures!!! I won't settle for mediocre, or second best anymore!! For example...if I'm not getting the results I need to, then I have to make some changes NOT become complacent. If there is a problem or issue, then its my job to find a solution...etc.

That is what I would expect of myself if I was working at a company...why would it be different at home? WOW...what power and what energy!! I can make things happen, increase productivity, create unique systems, and really impact the lives of my family and friends and community by pouring myself even more into MY ROLE in this life.

So you're probably wondering why in the heck I just went off on this tangent. Well, it has everything to do with this post. Implementing my "Shop, Cook, Clean" program reminded me that expressing my entrepreneurial spirit in my home makes all the difference. I can hardly express my feelings into words...so I'll just say I'm LOVING THIS!!!

6 comments:

darbs said...

Great idea. Money management in its real life form

Ranee said...

That is AWESOME! You are AMAZING! And I am SO glad I get to learn from you! :D)

Dan and Alli Ralphs said...

love it!! You are amazing!!

Greg & Anna said...

You are so right! I love it when the kids get to be involved with the groceries....Life skills is the best lesson they may have received this week and will bless their lives forever!

Stephanie said...

What a great idea!!

Julie said...

WOW!!!! You are amazing! Can I be a fly on your wall someday? Or can I be one of your children? I wonder how that would work? hmmm